Chandler Bing, portrayed by actor Matthew Perry (1964-2023), is known for his sarcastic wit and sense of humor in the popular TV series “Friends.” Here are 7 lesser-known facts about his character:
- Former Smoker: Chandler’s frequent jokes about his smoking habit were based on the fact that he used to be a heavy smoker in his early days, before quitting. This was rarely mentioned in the series, but it was subtly referenced a few times.
- Ballet Dancer: In his youth, Chandler had trained in ballet for several years. This surprising fact is revealed in a throwaway line in one of the episodes. It adds an unexpected layer to his character, especially given his usual demeanor.
- Math Enthusiast: Chandler’s job was often joked about and vaguely defined throughout the series, but it was mentioned in one episode that he worked as a data processor and statistical analysis. This implies that he might have had some interest or proficiency in mathematics, which contrasted with his humorous and laid-back personality.
- Middle Name: Chandler’s full name, which was rarely mentioned in the show, is Chandler Muriel Bing. The revelation of his middle name adds another humorous layer to his character, considering his tendencies to hide personal details.
- Parental Issues: Chandler’s complex relationship with his parents, particularly his father, was a recurring theme in the series. His parents’ divorce and his father’s cross-dressing performances were sources of insecurity and humor for Chandler, contributing to his characteristic defense mechanism of using humor to deflect emotional issues.
- Employment History: Before his corporate job, Chandler had a variety of quirky and unusual jobs, including working as a parrot salesman, a writer for a men’s magazine, and an advertising intern. These jobs were occasionally referenced throughout the series, highlighting Chandler’s eclectic work history before settling into his more stable career.
- Third Nipple: In one episode, it’s revealed that Chandler has a third nipple, which becomes a running gag throughout the show. This physical attribute is often the subject of jokes made by his friends, adding to the humor and camaraderie of the group.
These lesser-known aspects of Chandler Bing’s character add depth and complexity to his portrayal in the iconic TV series “Friends.”