Tuesday, July 5
Shadow

Rivers of the world

Experience Asia’s first and only river-themed wildlife park with rare and endangered animals from iconic river habitats

Wildlife Reserves Singapore is a unique concept. Not only from the point of view to delight travelers but also, for the basic fact of conserving some of the rarest of species of plants and animals. Apart from that one aspect that makes it a wonderful experience is its river-themed proposition. Exploring the park is an experience to remember as everything gets encrypted in your head while walking through it. Interestingly, about 85 percent of the park’s animal collection is designed to be viewed on foot while the other 15 percent on boat. The passing-by freshwater galleries, walk-through exhibits, and onboard a boat give delight that is incomparable to many other experiences that you might have had.

 

Rivers of the world

With a total area of 12 hectares, the River Safari with a massive volume of water i.e., 34,000 m3, encompasses 69 exhibits, 400 plant species, 200 animal species including 40 threatened species, and over 6,000 (aquatic and terrestrial) animal specimens. The park is divided into iconic river zones showcasing aquatic and terrestrial animals from each zone.

 

River Safari has become the most talked-about dimension of the Wildlife Reserve Singapore. It is Asia’s first and only river-themed wildlife park home to rare and endangered animals from iconic river habitats. The highlights are – the Mississippi River, Congo River, River Nile, Ganges River, Murray River, Mekong River and Yangtze River featuring Giant Panda Forest. Further, the section of Wild Amazonia consists of Amazon River Quest, Squirrel Monkey Forest and Amazon Flooded Forest.

 

Some unique aquatic and terrestrial animals have been featured in the park. They are endangered river giants such as the giant salamander, giant freshwater stingray and Mekong giant catfish. River Safari is the only park in Asia to feature the giant river otter, the world’s largest otter that can grow up to 1.8 m in length and 34 kg in weight.

Mandai Nature Reserve
Mandai Nature Reserve

Close to the nature

River Safari has been able to bring visitors close to nature in a vibrant way. It is not seldom that we can catch a glimpse of intriguing wildlife of river habitats. The fact that these are disappearing faster than forest and marine environments, it has become such a critical subject, and thankfully, Wildlife Reserve Singapore has successfully achieved to pass on an ecological message through its river concept. The freshwater ecosystems are important and roaming around this park promotes that fact. In addition, it also seeks to play a part in global captive breeding programs for endangered freshwater species.

 

The way this safari has been designed and developed is commendable. Keeping in mind the sensitive subject of ecology. Here you would come across the sights and sounds of each river zone. It has been replicated aptly from exhibit design to the represented animal collection. The entire experience is all about knowing the cultures and wildlife of each zone, which is quite an achievement.

 

This park is situated in the Mandai Nature Reserve area. Look wise, the best in zoological architecture and design can be seen exhibiting artistry and technology to provide a mix of experience with world rivers and landscapes that they support. It is a must-visit place.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!