The incidence of viral infectious diseases in children is on the rise. There is a detailed discussion about the hand, foot and mouth diseases of kids.
Symptoms of hand, foot and mouth diseases
Within 3-6 days of being infected with the virus, low to moderate (102 degrees) fever develops. There may be differences in some viruses. In many cases, the sore throat will start within 24 hours of the onset of fever, loss of appetite can be occured, fatigue will be felt, the body will become weak. The child will not want to eat any food or water due to pain. Then dehydration may occur.
In addition to the sore throat, there will be small white rashes inside the mouth cavity, rashes around the lips, rashes will be a little painful. Rash can also cause itching.
Within 2-3 days of the fever, rashes will also appear on the hands and feet. Can affect hands, feet and mouth. Such problems are more common in hand, foot and mouth diseases.
Causes of hand, foot and mouth diseases
- This type of problem can occur only when infected with any contagious virus.
- People with weakened immune systems are more likely to be infected with this virus.
The way it spreads
Viral diseases are mainly spread through the oral route and through runny nose, saliva, and cough. Each virus uses a different route. The virus can also be spread through contact with hand and foot rashes. Thus, it can spread-
- In contact with the infected person
- If you use the clothes of the infected person
- Use the glass used by the infected person because there may be saliva and saliva may contain the virus.
- If contaminated water, such as an infected person’s feces, is washed in a pond, the water will contain the virus. Again, if the virus-rich water is consumed in any way, it can also cause viral diseases.
Prevention: hand, foot and mouth diseases
- The disease can be prevented by washing hands well before meals, drinking clean water, walking clean, and avoiding contact with infected people.
- Again, many people caress and kiss small kids, the children are at risk of various viral diseases. So you have to refrain from caressing in this way and keep the children safe.
- Parents have to be careful in such cases. At the same time, regular intake of nutritious food, vitamin A, E and C-rich foods increases immunity.
- So you have to eat more of these foods. Breast milk will last for two years, it increases the immunity of children.
Treatment of hand, foot and mouth diseases
- Usually any viral disease gets better within 7-10 days.
- So if the child can eat properly, then such a treatment is not needed. Treatment may include antihistamines to reduce itching with paracetamol for fever, and paracetamol or ibuprofen may be given to relieve pain rather than fever. Civit 7 to increase immunity Zinc etc. can be given.
- However, care should be taken to ensure that the child gets adequate nutrition and in no way dehydration or dehydration. In case of dehydration, it should be rushed to the hospital and treated with intravenous saline. Any problem should consult a doctor.
Author: Dr. Ismail Azhari, CEO, Center for Clinical Excellence and Research, Bangladesh